Sunday’s UEFA EURO 2020 Final on ESPN set a record as the most-watched European Football Championship match ever in the United States with an average audience of 6,488,000 viewers. The audience for the Final increased 43 percent over the 2016 Final and surpassed the previous viewership high of 4,567,000 for the EURO 2012 Final (Spain vs. Italy).
The EURO Final is also the most-viewed soccer telecast in the United States since July 2019.
Sunday’s audience peaked during the penalty shootout with 8,199,000 viewers.
Top 4 most-watched UEFA EURO Finals in the U.S. history:
1. Italy vs. England, Euro 2020 Final, ESPN, 6,488,000 viewers
2. Spain vs. Italy, Euro 2012 Final, ESPN, 4,567,000 viewers
3. Portugal vs. France, Euro 2016 Final, ESPN, 4,538,000 viewers
4. Germany vs. Spain, Euro 2008 Final, ABC, 4,133,000 viewers
Through all 51 matches of UEFA EURO 2020, ABC, ESPN and ESPN2 delivered an average audience of 1,363,000 viewers, a 31 percent increase over the 2016 event on ESPN and ESPN2 (1,039,000 viewers).
Round-by-round audience highlights for UEFA EURO 2020:
• Group Stage: 36 matches on ABC, ESPN and ESPN2 averaged 870,000 viewers, a 23 percent increase (vs. 707,000 viewers for EURO 2016);
• Round of 16: Eight matches on ABC and ESPN averaged 1,816,000 viewers, a 38 percent increase compared to 1,317,000 viewers in 2016;
• Quarterfinals: An average audience of 2,018,000 viewers watched the four matches on ABC and ESPN, a 16 percent increase compared to 2016 (1,737,000);
• Semifinals: ESPN averaged audience of 2,561,000 viewers, up 37 percent from 2016 on ESPN (1,876,000 viewers)
Author: World Soccer Talk